CC & E group meeting minutes 5.3.17



Present: Nicky Gavron; Chris Lazou; Sydney Charles;Fred Fitzke; Jill Boswell; Norman Beddington;

Jonathan Boswell; Jill Pack

Apologies:Alan Morton;Peray Ahmet; Helen Mayer;Catherine West; Julian Sainsbury; Friedbert Meinert; Janet Boston

Minutes of 08.01.17 Meeting

Sydney pointed out that the figures on the Woodside PV scheme were inaccurate: scheme will cost £90k, and will provide a 5% return; a parallel application to for a Salix loan to purchase LED lighting will save £9k pa.

 9th Feb Brexit & Climate Change Meeting

Norman and Jill said that they thought that with an attendance of 60 LP, Green and non-aligned people the meeting had been a success, and that the strategy of a ‘Green alliance’ had been worthwhile. He thanked all the Group members who helped to make it a successful day. Jonathan said that in future we needed to be careful about speakers bringing up irrelevant subjects, such as the Green member who asked a question on the HDV.

 Norman reported that £89.03 was collected at the meeting, making our total funds £180.04.

 Discussion on Clean Air

 Norman talked to the reports from the 30th Jan Transport Forum which he had circulated. LBH is proposing to update the borough’s Air Quality Management Area with funding from the GLA, and so has produced maps showing annual mean concentrations of NO2 in 2013 and 2020, as well as GLA Focus Areas and Haringey Hotspots (highly polluted main roads and junctions). 10% of residents live in areas where the annual NO2 objective is exceeded. Measures LBH is taking to reduce pollution include doubling the no of car club spaces and electrifying a proportion, as well as the Neighbourhood of the Future scheme for EVs in Wood Green.


Questions for LBH on AQMA


-                not clear on what the 2020 NO2 map is predicated

-                easy to use info needed on the LBH website, including historic info

-                why not have AQ Apps for schoolchildren showing when AQ limits are exceeded ?


Electric Vehicles


Sydney presented her Update PDF on electric vehicles. She is passionate about EVs as a (partial) solution to problems of air quality. The fact that the Treasury will still be subsidising diesel through Vehicle Excise Duty from April 2017 is outrageous. There is not enough co-ordination of action on EVs; there is a range of conventional and fast charging points supplied by different manufacturers and individual councils free to choose any of these. London Councils are unclear whether or nor they have the powers to co-ordinate services for EVs on and off-street. Nicky said that the update is very useful and advised Sydney to get Joanne McCartney to ask the Mayor a question on current DoT funding. She also agreed to ask a question herself on EV co-ordination.


Norman reported on his and Friedbert’s meeting with Joe Baker about the Wood Green NoF scheme. Quite substantial amounts of money being spent on rapid re-chargers for existing and new development, an electric taxi rank, EV trials for residents and business support in Wood Green only; NB wld like to see a scheme for residential on-street charging.


Mobile Exhibition on EVs


Agreed that it could be useful to link up boroughs such as Haringey, Islington and Camden with voluntary groups to mount a touring pop-up exhibition on EVs.


Questions for Catherine to ask in HoC


Norman agreed to follow up Sydney’s suggested question on PVs being charged business rates.


Focus on Cycling in Haringey


Norman said that one area where Haringey has not made sufficient progress is in making it safer and more convenient to use a cycle in the borough. This is partly due to not having resources for construction for cycle routes and signage, but also to insufficient officer time being available. As there is now discussion of considerably more funding being made available to the GLA, LBH should make a bid for some of this.


Next Public Meeting


Jill raised the subject of the imminent replacement of the Edmonton incinerator by NLWA; the new plant will have same capacity as old one – 700,000 tonnes, but in fact only 100,000 tonnes required and difference will be made up with commercial waste. We could be saddled with an outsize incinerator which will provide a disincentive for recycling, when option of several smaller plants which could be brought online when required has not been explored. Could be a suitable subject for next public meeting; NB to invite Quentin Given to next meeting of group.


Newsletter Articles


Air pollution in Haringey                                Norman

Electric vehicles                                             Sydney

Electric/hybrid buses                                    Sydney

Car clubs/Neighbourhood of Future           Norman

End of free green waste collection  Jill

Report on 9th Feb Brexit meeting               Norman

Woodside PV project                                  Alan


Copy date 17th March


Next CC&E Meeting


Sunday 2nd April 6.00 pm


Norman Beddington



Do you like this post?


Please check your e-mail for a link to activate your account.

The Labour Party will place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better.

Please read this to review the updates about which cookies we use and what information we collect on our site.

To find out more about these cookies, see our privacy notice. Use of this site confirms your acceptance of these cookies.